10 May 2013

I think Our Tree is Dead

This blog is becoming more of a journal for me. Well, not completely. There are certain things I wouldn't say on this blog that I would say in a journal.

I am a bit sad about our tree in the front yard. I just noticed today that all of our trees have leaves on its branches except this one. It's really sad that this one does not have leaves because it's a fairly tall and established tree. I really hope that it's just sick and I can bring it back somehow. I did look up how to find out if a tree is dead. I guess you can do a scrape test on the bark of the tree. If there is green under the bark then the tree is alive. If it's just brown dry bark, then it's probably dead.

I did a scrape test on one side of the tree and it's brown, but on the other side there's remnants of green. Not to mention that a couple of the small branches don't snap off as easy as others. I think there's a little life left in this puppy. It would really suck if I had to chop it down. Here's the website I read about the scrape test on. http://tinaramsey.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-can-you-tell-if-tree-or-shrub-is.html






The other challenge I have is identifying this other large tree we have. It's little baby seedlings are popping up all over the place. I have a feeling it's a pest tree. But I want to find out. I was using this website to determine what type of tree it is. The result was Kentucky coffee tree, but I don't think that's right.

Well, lunch is almost ready for me and Luke is waking up from his short nap. I think I was going to right about more things, like how I wish it would rain and stuff. But maybe that'll be a topic for next time.

No comments: