03 August 2014

Albuquerque Home

I should probably be writing for school right now. I'm not. It's a Sunday evening and it's raining. Nothing like the rain we had Friday night. That was insane! I thoroughly enjoyed that rain. It dumped over 2 inches of rain on us in a mater of about an hour. Here's a link to a news article about the flood. http://krqe.com/2014/08/02/heavy-rains-flood-downtown-albuquerque/

It doesn't seem like it should be such a big news story, especially if you aren't from Albuquerque. There are huge storms in the eastern USA that dump much more moisture from a single storm. Rain is news for us in Albuquerque. We love it so much. I start live tweeting if I even fell a drop of rain. So, the storm was nice. I hope the monsoons aren't over. August is usually when tings begin to slow down. I'm hoping for at least one or two more big storms. That would be nice.

This brings me to my next set of thoughts. New Mexico. New Mexico has really been pissing me off lately. I read an article about "Almost Albuquerque" the other day. It discouraged me. I see cities like Tucson getting a light rail. Why can't we have a light rail? I remember talk of the light rail system back when Marty Chavez was mayor. It never happened, of course. Also, what the heck's up with our skyscrapers? The last high rise that was finished, (if you want to call it that), was the Anasazi Downtown condos, and those took almost 10 years to complete.

I think Albuquerque should own itself. We need to be proud to be citizens. Albuquerque is so different. I think there's a lot of nice things we can enjoy here. We're in the shadow of other western cities. I think of Albuquerque and a half way point between Phoenix and Denver. By the way, Phoenix and Denver should be in New Mexico, stupid congress back in the day didn't draw our state boundary correctly.

I've got a lot to complain about home. I could list it all now. Goat heads suck. I wish it rained more. Poverty. Transportation is a joke. I want people to like us in Albuquerque. Most of the time when I hear Albuquerque mentioned it's usually negative. Search the hashtag #Albuquerque, or #NewMexico on Instagram or Twitter. There are a bunch of people who are just passing though on I-40 talking about how much it sucks.

There are a lot of cool things about Albuquerque. There are a lot of cool things about New Mexico. I'm kind of happy those cool things aren't well known across the country. People have no idea we have mountains. There are only 7 states with higher peaks than us. Alaska, California, Colorado, Washington, Hawaii, and Utah. New Mexico has higher peaks than Montana, Oregon and Idaho. Who knew? Really, I think congress should have drawn our state to include more of Colorado, too. I would say most of the southern counties identify more with New Mexico than they do with Colorado anyway.

Let's keep our mountains a secret. I think it's okay that I can go on a hike and actually be in a wilderness. There aren't jeeps and microbrew drinking bros camping around every corner. There is nature.

I'll continue to enjoy it here. And I think a lot of the people who are "entrapped" here end up actually liking it here. The population continues to rise. I hope things change for the better here. We have so much room for improvement. Maybe all these negative news stories will motivate its citizens to want to improve the city.


No comments: