21 May 2014

Seek Knowledge!

One of the biggest lies I tell myself is that Christianity is for the dumb. Blind faith idiots who don't care to observe the world around them and accept every bit of crap that's fed to them. Sure, I think there are a lot of Christians who behave this way, especially Christians in the United States. It's our culture to be lazy... We've made religion a sport. Our team is winning and so forth. Whatever.

This isn't what Christianity is about. I just read this portion of 2 Peter and I loved it! I'll share now.

"5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue,[e] and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love."
2 Peter 1:5-7 ESV


So, Christians are called out to supplement their virtue with knowledge. So you can strive to have a high moral character, but be knowledgeable.


I can ponder these two verses for a while... I don't think that God wants us to be dumb Christians just spouting out what some idiot politician said, or some mega-church pastor who wants to get his book on the New York Times best selling list. We're to think! If you believe that God in all his perfect knowledge and craftsmanship designed our incredibly complex brain, then use it!


Climate change is real. Science has proved it. The universe is actually billions of years old. Science has proved it. I think even evolution should be given a fair shake. Do these theories conflict with who God is? I don't think so. God's plan is perfect. Who are you, human, to tell God how the Universe should come about? 

No comments: