19 October 2014

Alone

I've got eye boogers, my glasses are dirty. It's hard to see right now. I've cleaned my glasses over and over and I've rubbed my eyes. I don't know what the heck is going on there. I need new glasses. I need some eye drops.

Completely not related to my vision issues right now, I want to talk about Hell. I'm just kidding. Well, sort of. I just read the chapter on Hell in The Problem With Pain by C.S. Lewis. Yeah, I'm still reading this book. It's taking me for fricking ever. In my defense, I'm stinking busy all the time. I work 10 hour days. I'm a dad and I'm a husband. I don't have time to read a book. Although, I'm making some time.

Time. I shouldn't have time to write in this ridiculously dumb block either. Lindsey is exhausted because she's pregnant, and she's a human, and humans become fatigued. Time is precious. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were still single. I remember all the time I had when I was single. I did whatever the hell I wanted to do. I slept in. I stayed out late. But, I was so damn lonely. I was ALONE. That sucked. I remember going to bed alone and it was insanely quiet. Silence. I would shuffle around in bed and wished for someone to hold. I have that now... I hold Lindsey every night, and it's awesome.

We have times when we're not in sync with each other. Sure. But we love each other. We love each other so much that we made another human. I guess people that love each other make other humans. It's science. Now we're expecting our second human. The new human should emerge sometime in early May. May the 4th is the exact expectation date of human emergence.

Yeah. May the 4th. Star Wars Day. Our son's name is Luke. We thought it would be amusing if we had a daughter human and we named her Leia. Luke and Leia. I would just hope they never make out with each other.

Being where I am is so strange to me. I'm 31. I'm an adult. I've been an adult technically for 13 years. That's trippy to me. Just today, we were driving home to Albuquerque from Moriarty and I was reminiscing with Lindsey about high school. I grew up in Moriarty and I remember listening to DC Talk (yeah, I was one of those Chrisians) and doing my geometry homework in my room. That was 14 years ago. I don't feel that I should be 31 years old. I graduated high school. I went to university. I got a job. I got married. I'm a father. This all just happened. And here I am. I'm a home owner. I'm married. I'm a father. This is life. It's here.

It's just crazy to me. From the age of 18 to now, I've let time slip by. Time flies. It's true. Time keeps going. It's linear. We will never experience this moment ever again. This was talked about in the book I'm reading. In the chapter about Hell, C.S. Lewis addresses the problems people have with the idea of Hell. Eternity is a real problem with humans. We kind of have an idea, but not really. Time is what we know. I want to quote some of this chapter, if I may. In the chapter, Lewis describes all of the problems people have with the idea of Hell. Some of the problems he addresses are some of the problems I have. The main one is that of compassion and mercy. We as humans have compassion and mercy. I think a lot of us (as Americans especially) learn to ignore our compassion and mercy, but I think we're all born with it. So, with the compassion and mercy, if we're in Heaven and we know that there are other human souls suffering in Hell, wouldn't we feel really terrible? We feel really bad for those that are less fortunate than us now, what more would it be if we were in Heaven and we knew that there were those, even those that we care a lot about who are in Hell? I would feel super bad! And God, He has much more compassion and mercy than I do. Then I read this in the book. I'll quote it now...

"In the long run the answer to all those who object to the doctrine of hell, is itself a question: 'What are you asking God to do?' To wipe out their past sins and, at all costs, to give them a fresh start, smoothing every difficulty and offering every miraculous help? But He has done so, on Calvary. To forgive them? They will not be forgiven. To leave them alone? Alas, I am afraid that is what He does."

This entire chapter on Hell has addressed a lot of questions about Hell that I have had. I next want to read Love Wins by Rob Bell. I know it's a little off of what Christians typically believe about the idea of Hell, but I want to see what Bell has to say. I guess it's really saying that God gets what He wants, and He wants all of us... An interesting read if anything. I'm still in this book, however. And I am excited to read these two final chapters. The next is about animal pain and the last is on Heaven.

No comments: