08 May 2011

Old Route 66

It's been a great Sunday. Today is Mum's Day. I love my mum. I love my wifes mum. Mum is how the British say mom. Okay...  Well, it was great to spend time with family today. It was great going to church and playing my guitar. I'm starting to get a bit more adventurous on my playing. We then drove out to Moriarty, even that was relaxing to me. I just love spending time with Lindsey.

On Friday, we went to Hasting's and we were looking these books on how Albuquerque and New Mexico was in the early 20th century, I wish I could remember the names of the books. There were pictures of different motels along route 66. A few were named in Moriarty that are still there and operational. There were also a few named in Albuquerque, one of which president John F. Kennedy stayed at. After the motels hay days in the 1960's, it then made a turn for the worst and became a motel frequented by prostitutes and their clients. So it was knocked down and replaced by the Four Hills Shopping Center. What does this have to do with our drive out to Moriarty? Well there were photos of Route 66 going through Tijeras Canyon before Interstate 40 was built. It looks almost the same, except for a few hills missing. I guess entire hills were destroyed to make way for I-40. There was also a rock on Route 66 that people would paint advertisements on. This historical rock is still in somewhere along the way. It was also bulldozed off to the side to make way for the new roadway. I would love to find this rock with advertisements on it.

I've run into a writing road-block. I can't remember what I was going to say... Oh yeah! I found a new app called "Topo Maps". That is all. Happy Mum's day to all the mums out there!

Cool Web-Page


p.s. After looking for images to put on the blog post, I think I'm going to start collecting antique post cards. There's a really awesome antique shop by our house where I would like to start. 


No comments: