18 June 2016

Somebody Else

Cynicism. Sometimes it sets in. Cynicism. I find myself being cynical about everything. Is it healthy to have some cynicism? I had to look up cynical to make sure I have the correct definition in my head.

 Google says cynicism is: "1. believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity. "her cynical attitude" doubtful as to whether something will happen or whether it is worthwhile." 

So yeah, I think I'm cynical these days. I need to tone it down a bit. What's the opposite of cynicism? I'll look it up. Google says an antonym of cynicism is idealism.

 Google says idealism is: "1. the practice of forming or pursuing ideals, especially unrealistically. "the idealism of youth""

 I don't want to be idealistic. But I don't want to be cynical. Once again, the lesson in life here is balance. I don't know what the word would be that would describe a balance of cynicism and idealism. Maybe I should Google that, too. Na. I'm grateful. I'm grateful to have three beautiful, healthy kids. I'm grateful to have support from family and a great church. I'm grateful we go without things we need. I'm grateful things we want are out if reach, sometimes. It's good to be withheld everything you want. I feel bad complaining about things. I don't want to be a complainer.

I was thinking about the last blog post I made. Complainers complain, and they do nothing else. I want to be a do-er. I think it's okay to be dissatisfied with things around you, but what you do about it is the most important piece. I complained about the church I grew up in. Looking back, I don't approve of a lot of the things I saw, but that church contributed to who I am now, be that bad or good, it is what it is. I'm also more inquisitive because of that church. I ask questions about everything, even God, and I think that's good. A bit of skepticism never hurt anyone. Right?

 So, there's that. I'm cynical at times...but I'll try my best not to complain and do things to improve the things I'm dissatisfied with. That's me. I'll use my turn signal when I'm changing lanes. I'll pick up a piece of litter when I see it. I'll try my best to listen to other people and forget about what I want to say. The church I grew up in taught me the golden rule: The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 (ESV) “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

No comments: