16 April 2014

Learning How To Be Content

Listening to mewithoutYou. It's been too long. I don't know where my mind's at, or where it's been. I used to get so into music! Now I'm just trying to keep my head above water. Just being honest. I think I'm doing okay. I know some changes need to be made. But what? Where? Do all humans think about what needs to be changed in their lives? Do all humans have a hard time being content? What does it mean to be content? Well, I'll look it up. Webster says this:

": pleased and satisfied : not needing more"


Am I pleased and satisfied with my life? Do I feel like I need more? Dang. I'm not content at all! I wonder what the Bible says about being content. Is discontentment a bad thing. I think discontentment can be motivation when it's at a safe level. When it's at an unsafe level then it can just drag you into a pit. That's where I am right now. I think that Lindsey and Luke should bring me contentment. And I love them. I think it's me that's flawed. I shouldn't feel that I need more.

So what does the Bible say about contentment? I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says. So I'll look...

This portion of scripture always come to mind. Matthew 6:25-34 (ESV):

"25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[g] 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 Forthe Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 Butseek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.


34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.""

It's true for me. No matter how much I worry, I'm always taken care of. I have never gone without a meal. In fact, I, like most other American's, probable have too many meals on a daily basis. I have everything I need, and more! I like that Jesus didn't deny the fact that there will be things that trouble us, but he assured us that we will be taken care of.

So, back to contentment. Pleased and satisfied...not needing more. I have to think about this one for a while. I have to exercise discipline. I need to be happy with my job, while continuously striving to better myself. And I need to trust in God. Divine love. 

Other things I'm thinking about...

Well, I want to look up these mewithoutYou lyrics. I also want to quote what Stephen Colbert said about God's love. I'll quote Stephen Colbert first, then I'll look up the lyrics to this song. 

I read an article from Relevant about Stephen Colbert and I was blown away about what he said in response to Hell and God's love. Here's what the article said:

""“I think the answer, ‘God is love’ is pretty good for a child. Because children understand love … My son asked me one day, ‘Dad, what’s hell?’ … So, I said, ‘Well, if God is love, then hell is the absence of God’s love. And, can you imagine how great it is to be loved? Can you imagine how great it is to be loved fully? To be loved totally? To be loved, you know, beyond your ability to imagine? And imagine if you knew that was a possibility, and then that was taken from you, and you knew that you would never be loved. Well that’s hell—to be alone, and know what you’ve lost.’”"
Read more at http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/6-times-stephen-colbert-got-serious-about-faith#XaHxqTqv1tXRkdL1.99

Anyway, I think I'm done writing. I'll put off the lyrics until later. I'll just enjoy the music for now. That's all. 

I'll leave you with a link to some information on some lillies that grow in the Middle East. Maybe Jesus had one of these flowers in mind when he spoke about them in Matthew 6. http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/1584/



No comments: