18 February 2014

Zoo Trip, Evolution, Jesus, Note 3.

My armpits stink. It's okay. It's natural. What's not natural is animals in captivity. Luke and I went to the Rio Grande Zoo. It's cool that it's not natural, we still had a blast. Plus, I don't think anyone would want to see a hippopotamus up close in nature. Those creatures are big, strong, territorial and they will hurt you. I'm happy to see them behind an exhibit wall.

Another creature I wouldn't want to see in nature is the black mamba. Yeah, efff everything about that snake. It can slither up to 15 mph and it can kill you with one bite. Na. A glass cage is good.

It was a fun day at the zoo with my boy. We watched the ducks eat, we saw the zebras eat their own poop. It was an epic father and son day. I love my boy.

Now the boy's napping and I'm typing some words and drinking a Santa Fe Black IPA.

It's not very often that I get to relax and just type on a keyboard. So that's what I'm going to do. Not a whole lot has been on my mind recently. That's bad. Things definitely used to get to me and sometimes I would over think things. It feels good to think though. We need to think. We're humans, it's what we do. It's what sets us apart from all the animals in captivity at the zoo. Except maybe the chimpanzees.

Luke and I sat there and watched the chimpanzees. They're definitively different from all the other animals in the zoo. Them and the gorillas. They're apes. They were laying there in the sun...relaxing I guess. Or maybe they're pissed off that they're in prison. I have no clue. But then there are humans. We're apes. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that humans look a lot like gorillas and chimpanzees. Our teeth look similar, so do our hands and our ears. Yeah, there's a lot of physical traits we have that are really similar looking to those of chimpanzees and gorillas.

But I'm a Christian. Yup. There it is. So, does that mean I have to ignore all of the scientific work humans have done in identifying our relationship to other apes? I'm not smart. I'll be the first to admit that. Those scientists who came up with all this about our origins are smart, though.

Some people think that if you are scientific minded then you can't believe in the supernatural at all. Supernatural is to go against nature-- against the natural laws that are in existence. It's like, if I believe in what scientists say then there's no reason to believe in God. The scientist is here and wrote a paper and documented research. I can't see God. The idea of God was just passed down to me from thousands of years of stories.

It is hard for me to believe in God sometimes.

I think about all the evidence that has been presented against God. There's a lot. Like why does evil exist? Why do innocent people die? Here's one for ya. Why is it that God loves us all so much and he still allows us to sin? God is all powerful. God created everything. Sin shouldn't exist if God exists. There are explanations about all of these by Christians. A lot of Christians ignore these questions. A lot of Christians don't know why they're Christians. Blind faith is the worst, and Christians aren't the only ones guilty of that.

But, then their's that dude Jesus. God incarnate. Came to Earth and loved the hell out of every one he came in contact with. Even Atheists admit at least the fables of the Jesus are nice stories (they love Deuteronomy more). Jesus is why I'm a Christian. Jesus loved. He served. He healed. He was God coming to meet humans where we were at. We needed exactly what he brought us. And human's needs haven't changed much since Jesus walked the rocky paths of Galilee. We still need to be healed. We need to be accepted. We need love. We need love so bad.

So, that's where I stop. I stop and think. Who was Jesus? He told me to turn my cheek. He told me to love my neighbor (not just Mr. Rodgers, although I do love him). I'm not to retaliate. I'm supposed to put myself second and show love to other people. It's hard not to be selfish. It's hard not to feel uncomfortable when a beggar asks for money.

So, Jesus is why I'm a Christian. But was Jesus God? Or was he just a really nice Middle Eastern dude? Well, if he was just a dude, then I'm not going to worship him. The most important thing about my beliefs are the resurrection. Nope, not The Walking Dead. Although, that show is freaking awesome. Jesus died...  but he didn't stay dead. He was buried. Some people wrote about how he was buried. Did they lie? They could have. Then Jesus's grave was empty. And Jesus's followers were like, "who took his body". But then they saw him walking around. People wrote about that. Then they started the largest religion in the history of humankind. And they died because of it. The Romans killed Christians. And I know it's an argument that's used a lot by Christians, but I think it's valid. Why would a Christian (one who knew Jesus, watched him die, and watched him walk around alive again) agree to die a painful death if it was all just a lie?

That was all a long time ago. Here I am. You might think I'm an idiot. I think I am too.

Luke's awake, so I'm done writing. I'll leave this post with photos of my day. By the way, the Note 3 camera is dang good! The phone is ridiculously large. I'm getting used to it, though.



























No comments: