19 September 2023

Encyclopedias

 Encyclopedias. People of my generation and before may remember these. A collection of books with information complied on certain topics. Encyclopedia Britanica was the best, apparently. The other two publishers I knew of were Funk & Wagnalls and World Book. 

World Book, as I remember it, was most commonly found in the library of your school. This was the book you reached for if you wanted to start a research project--you wanted to know about a president, a continent, a country, an animal--you name it, the World Book probably had a quick bite of information about the topic you wanted to learn more about. 

Britanica seemed to be a bit more acadmic than the World Book, and sometimes I'd see it in the school library, but I would gravitate to the World Book. The information was more accessable for me. The font, as I remember it, was more Times New Roman-y, smaller font, the pages seemed to be of higher quality, the binding was a nicer quality. 

Doesn't matter, I guess. I didn't go to the Britanica. My go-to were the World Book at school and Funk & Wagnalls when I was at my Grandpa's house. My grandpa had two sets of Funk & Wagnalls. Maybe he had World Book too. I don't remember. 

My Grandpa didn't have a computer, or a TV most of my childhood, he didn't even have a phone, but he had plenty to do at his house. He had this brown 70's style carpet in his living room, a record player on a stand (also very 70s), and booksheves full of encyclopedia volumes and atlases. 



This was my favorite thing to do as a child. I would lay on his 70s style brown carpet and pick a letter from his encyclopedias and just learn. I would start with some nugget of curiosity my grandpa would give me, and then go from there. 

One time, he told me that Mexico City was the biggest city in the world. I had to know more. I don't remember the events exactly, but I'm sure I want to the "M" volume and began to read up on the city. This is where my facination with populations of cities began. To read that Mexico City had millions of inhabitants blew my mind. Then I looked at the photos and the maps included. I'm sure my next action was to then look at a city map. 

I could spend hours just looking at the map, imagining what it was like to live in the same place with millions of other people. And that's what I did. 

Today, that curiosity is still there. It's muffled a bit by my responsibilities. I have to work. I bring my curiosity to work, but I can't sit at my desk and imagine cities while browsing Wikipedia. (or can i?). Wikipedia is great, though. 

I did have an interesting memory come to me. There used to be a Furr's grocery store in downtown Santa Fe. My grandpa would take me there occasionally, and an endcap of one of the ailes had a display of the newest Funk & Waggnalls encyclopedias. My grandpa would take me there and we would by each book individually. The books would be in his collection, but of course I could read through them any time I wanted. 

No comments: